If he lives up to his campaign rhetoric, a President Donald Trump would be a nightmare for the Environmental Protection Agency, radical environmentalism and the mandate- and subsidy-dependent “green” energy racket.
I have paid close attention this campaign season to what every candidate has said about environmental issues. Almost all 17 of the Republican candidates strongly opposed Obama’s war on coal, the job-killing EPA, and global warming hysteria. But Trump has exhibited something else — unusually keen insight into and visceral dislike for green extremism, especially as inflicted upon us by the Obama administration.
On global warming, Trump has repeatedly stated or tweeted as follows:
- Global warming is a “hoax,” echoing the words of leading Senate climate skeptic Sen. Jim Inhofe.
- Trump has mocked Obama for saying that climate change is the top global priority, especially as compared to Islamic terrorism and rogue nuclear states like Iran and North Korea.
- Other countries, especially China, push global warming hysteria to cripple the U.S. economy and gain competitive advantage.
- Trump has ridiculed Obama’s climate “deal” with China in which the U.S. cuts its CO2 emissions now while China gets away with a commitment to only possibly peak its emissions by 2030.
- When global temperatures failed to rise as predicted by climate models, “global warming” became “climate change.”
- Global warming hysteria is being pushed by “Jonathan Gruber-types,” the infamous architect of Obamacare who called Americans “stupid.”
- Trump has observed that the polar ice caps are not melting as predicted by global warming hysterics.
These are all key points made by climate skeptics. Trump has made them consistently without any waffling.
Trump is also a long-time supporter of the U.S. coal industry:
- “The US is stupidly closing all of its coal fired plants. And then we wonder why our energy costs are going up.”
- “Obama’s coal regulations will destroy the coal industry, put Americans out of work, raise electricity prices and lead to blackouts.”
- “Obama’s war on coal is killing American jobs, making us more energy dependent on our enemies & creating a great business disadvantage.”
Most recently, Trumped jumped on Hillary Clinton’s gaffe about putting coal miners and their industry out of business. “I want clean coal. We’ll have clean coal and plenty of it. The coal industry is being decimated and many great people are out of work and they can’t get back into work. Hillary Clinton as you know, she says she wants to put the coal miners out of business never to work again. I don’t know how she can go to West Virginia.”