An inconvenient truth: The CO2 scare — By Tribune-Review
Published: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 8:55 p.m.
As atmospheric carbon-dioxide levels verge on 400 parts per million (ppm), climate cluckers are aflutter over what Chicken-Little-in-chief Al Gore has called “A sad milestone. A call to action.” But this alarm is as baseless as any sounded by the blame-mankind crowd.
Countering their politically driven alarmism with cold, hard scientific facts that show why CO2 at 400 ppm is a nonissue is ClimateDepot.com ‘s Marc Morano. He notes that:
• CO2 is just one of hundreds of factors governing temperature and climate.
• From geology’s long-view perspective, current CO2 levels are remarkably low.
• Peer-reviewed studies have shown that ice ages occurred when CO2 levels ranged from 2,000 ppm all the way up to 8,000 ppm; that temperatures comparable to today’s prevailed even with CO2 levels 20 times higher; and that CO2 rose as high as 425 ppm nearly 13,000 years ago — when humanity couldn’t possibly have influenced climate.
• Ice-core data show temperatures rise hundreds or thousands of years before CO2 levels rise.
• And there’s considerable evidence that climate drives CO2 levels, not the other way around.
That the Chicken Littles cluck so loudly over 400-ppm CO2 levels despite such damning evidence against their case reveals them for the science-twisting, anti-growth political opportunists they are. Experts at doctoring evidence to fit their preordained conclusions, they’re now simply ignoring the inconvenient scientific truth about CO2.